Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Football - My first love...

Thank God for football...I have no idea what I would have done without this sport...Since the first time I touched a football during my school days till date, I get such an adrenalin rush just watching a game of football that I can't put the feeling of how it feels to actually play it in words here.

My best time playing football were definitely after Xth std when I used to play football every night for at least 2 hrs. Sambit's building ground was my "Theater of Dreams" and it seemed that I owned the place...Wow I get goosebumps thinking about that time when playing football was the simplest thing I could do and at that time I was never had to be apprehensive about keeping my place in the team.I was always one of the first names on the team sheet.

This continued uptill my first and second year in engineering and I'll never ever forget the summer of 2002 when as part of the D.J.S.C.O.E team we won the the TSEc tourney for the first time...Wow what a tourney...I remember each and every game so vividly and it was so much fun playing with the seniors.Being the youngest in the team I was pampered so much by my teammates that I can't even comprehend.Year 2 was fun too but without any success...

3rd year of engineering was the most stressful as well as the most successful campain for me personally.It didn't help that I got injured before the start of the season but it was more diffucult to sit out in the sidelines after being fully fit.Not that the team wasn't doing well and that I wasn't getting game time but just sitting on the sidelines for 2/3rd of the game didn't really help me pshcologically. However as luck would have it I got my chance again in the TSEC tournament and I lead the attack scoring 4 goals in the tournament.However the season ended with a heartbreak as we lost our final match of the seaon on penalties and I was the one who scwered up the final penalty kick.

Well 4th year came and went and though we played a lot of matches in the final year, the feeling of camaradie amongst the teammates had dissappeared. It didn't feel like I was part of the team anymore.

Anyways the 4 years in D.J.S.C.O.E were the best as far as playing football and cricket went.Playing with classmates & friends was always fun and my whole engineering life revolved arounf the black and white ball...All I can say for that is I am happy with the memories.

Infosys Football Team:-

Enough said...The 3 years in Pune couldn't have been better as far as football was concerned.Though I never cemented my place in the final 11 till the end, it was pleasure knowing the guys and playing football with them when ever the oppurtunity presented itself. The fact that it was one of the most successful teams in the Pune IT circuit really helped keeping the dissappointment of not making the playing 11 consistently at bearable proportions but the fun I had in practice with the guys was something I'll always cherish.What a gang we had there...Oh boy...It brings a tear to my eye when I think about the batch of footballers we had in our group and the way we practised and the way we played and after winning more importantly the way we partied.

Well it's been 6 months here in the Phillipines and I have played the beautiful sport only twice now. However I have high hopes for this weekend.Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the game the way I want and let myself go...Oh boy what would I do without football...

No comments: