Thursday, April 23, 2015

Life in the Big Apple

New York...Its considered the epicenter of the world...A place where no one stops to think; everybody is in pursuit of something/someone...



Its been close to 2.5 months since I shifted to New York to start a new life... Its been a completely new and brilliant experience. After a long time, although I feel completely out of my comfort zone, but at the same time so in touch with my feelings.

Well for starters, the day I landed in New York it was super cold and the next day was suppose to be the coldest day of the winter. Luckily my friend Arpit took good care of me and got me settled in the first few weeks to face the brutal NY winter.
The first time I saw snow, it was as if I had completed a life long wish which had lasted close to 25 years. My experience of first snowfall came the very next day after I landed and I must say I loved every bit of it; for the first 30 mins. After that the day was so gloomy and cold that I just couldn't stand it...Talk about major disappointment. 

One of the best things I have enjoyed till date in NY, is the long walk across Manhattan or Central Park. And since getting my new "Fit-bit", I am just excited in getting miles after miles clocked everyday. So at every given opportunity I make it a point to walk, instead of taking the much renowned and efficient NY public transport. And I have loved every minute of it so far. With the onset of spring, there are more people on the street, more vibrant colors around and a picture perfect weather on most days to discover the city on foot.
One thing which really astonishes me about NY are its people. Everybody in Manhattan seems to have a race against time. Everyone is in a hurry to reach somewhere and that too quickly. During my first few walks around the city, I realized soon enough, that leisurely walking is a big no-no in NY streets. The first few days I was constantly booted off the pathway by people who used to bulldoze around me and through me in their race against time...Plus you have those annoying tourists, who stand in the middle of the road taking selfies from different angles while office goers navigate around them.
All in all, NY is a beautiful city and there is nothing more beautiful that its people as well. For all their arrogance and lack of empathy on the streets for fellow travelers, people in New York, do know how to dress you for work and other wise. And then definitely know how to unwind and party... No doubt about that...So many gorgeous looking women and smartly dressed men around that sometimes I feel completely out of place. 

Well all in all, it has been a pleasant first experience of the city which indeed never sleeps- NY. One thing is for certain...

No comments: