Monday, June 20, 2011

Courage...

Right from childhood I have been fed with stories of courage and sacrifice by the great Indian kings of old as well the freedom fighters and people who fought for India's freedom from the British.

Films depicting struggle and extreme adversities which in the end of the day is overcome by true grit and courage of the protangist has always done well at the BO, if provided the correct treatment by its makers.

Even after being exposed to stories of courage through stories, books, t.v, movies etc, I am still in a dillema as to the true meaning of courage.

Do only soldiers show courage in their day to day life? Or do sportsman show courage during a game? Well I am sure they are the most glorified of the lot...Or is courage something which social activists show while going against a corrupt minister or the government.

I believe every individual shows courage in their day to day life. For a kid it takes courage to go learn riding a bike for the first time. It takes courage for a mother to give birth to her children. It takes courage for a bachelor to change his status to married after 25 odd yrs of a carefree life.

In essense what I am saying is courage is needed in anything and everything we do...

Sometimes we need courage to go against the norm. To do what we feel is right. To go against established practises in order to bring a sense of existence in our own lives. So courage can sometime be seen as been prudent... It could be percieved as an act of arrogance by the person who exibits such courage...Or as a act of foolishness by others.

For e.g if you go against your parents, it is percieved as an act of disrespect towards them. Similarly if at work, you go against the set norms, you are considered to be an outcast. I could give numerous examples where an act of courage could be easily mistaken for a more negative adjective.

The biggest pridicament, I face right now is to decide between what I know is right for me and what people closest to me, think is right for me.

In the end I know its my decision, but the no. of people affected by that decision has an overbearing affect on me deciding on my decision. (Confusing isn't it)...

Well as of now I guess the courage lies in enduring the pain and going through the motions for a little while longer. In the end of the day, the tide has to turn sometime or the other.

The smarter thing would to wait for the tide to turn... The foolish and more courageous thing, would be to force the tide to change...

Well knowing myself, and the way things are panning out, it will be much sooner than latter that I decide on acting the fool all over again...

No comments: